June 15, 2021
This week, Healthi Kids staff submitted comments to the Rochester City School District (RCSD) Superintendent and School Board on where we believe stimulus dollars should be spent.
The Rochester City School District is currently seeking feedback to determine the best way to spend stimulus dollars received through the American Rescue Plan and Foundation Aid. The district has received over $300 million dollars to spend over the next several years. Funds can be used to: address learning loss; support pandemic preparedness and response efforts; and to support diverse programming and high quality learning experiences for students. Ultimately, the funds will provide the district with a much needed opportunity to advance the health and well-being of all students and families.
These dollars are significant! The district is required to receive feedback from students and families into their plan for these dollars. Make sure you let the district receive your feedback to ensure the dollars are put towards the health and recovery of our kids.
- Adequate materials and equipment to meet COVID-19 health and safety needs
- Opportunities for healthy, culturally relevant relationship building through social emotional learning experiences
- Supporting enrichment activities and out of school time programming to students
- Development and implementation of a culturally responsive-sustaining education environment for all kids
- The implementation of play based learning opportunities as outlined in the Next Generation Standards
- Appropriate mental health and trauma supports for students in school buildings and/or through telehealth opportunities
- Providing funding to adequately fund restorative practices to improve school climate
- Providing students with healthy, nutritious and culturally relevant food throughout the school day
To read our full comments and letter click here.